Friday 26 March 2021

Te Kurī a Pāoa

We have been been learning about Pāoa and Kiwa through art. When Pāoa and Kiwa came to Tairāwhiti, Young Nicks Head looked like Pāoa’s dog so they called it Te Kurī a Pāoa. Over time, soil erosion has made some of the rock erode. It wasn’t until Captain Cook came that it got called Young Nicks Head. 

A New Zealand graphic artist called Warren Pohatu was an author and illustrator of four books about Māori stories. We looked at his art and created our own Te Kurī a Pāoa. We had to overlay pastels, blend them and make colours we didn’t have by experimenting and mixing pastels. We also showed movement through detail.




9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Like the colours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs Naden,
    I'm Bhargavi from Owairaka Primary School. I really liked your art because it was really colorful. Maybe next time you could add more details of the story.
    Blog you later,
    Bhargavi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Room 1 St Mary's School, I like all the colours you put together,maybe next time you got add more detail to the story so people can understand a bit more. Ted

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Room 1.
    Mackenzie here from room 25 Owairaka School.
    I love all the colours on the wonderful art!
    Blog ya later - Mackenzie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Room 1, I really like this art! I haven't used pastels for a while but they are great to use. Maybe next time you could make the title a bit more interesting. Blog you later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi room 1, I really think that the colors are awesome and I think you guys have a wonderful part of drawing! come see my blog at
    https://odsdiyanir.blogspot.com/ P.S its not a link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mrs Naden
    i'm miller from owairaka primary school I liked the slides that you did with your art and what are they? are they tigers?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question